Saturday, October 26, 2013

Technology



        Technology is the wave of the future and it's exciting when new "toys" come out on the market. However, I find that many people are obsessed with getting their hands on the new technology and will do everything and pay an obscene amount of money in order to have it in their possession.  I like new technology just like the next person but, I don't like the fact that I have to learn new programs.  I don't have the time to learn and practice using new technology.  I also know that I have to keep up with it in order to better understand how to teach my students and include it into my lessons.  After all, the younger generation relies on technology 24 hours a day, 7days a week.  Every where you look someone is either on their cell phone, ipad or computer.  It is scares me to think about how times have changed.  We rely so much on technology that we have forgotten how to think for ourselves.  I remember growing up, I would have to memorize my family and friends phone numbers and addresses, or at least write them down on a piece of paper.  Now a days we just put that information in our cell phones.  No one seems to know a phone number by heart because you don't have to memorize it.  Your phone does everything for you.
        Something that scares me about technology, is that there are individuals who know how to find out our your personal information by hacking on to our home computer.  It stinks that we have to be careful when using computers because there are bad people who are trying to take advantage of us.  Unfortunately there have been so many people who have gotten their identities stolen.  This is just one of the many reasons why I don't like technology becoming so advanced.  I wonder what the future holds for us.  Are machines and robots are going to control and do everything for us?  Am I crazy for thinking this way?

 
Vocabulary                       

technology- a machine or piece of equipment
obsessed- to think and talk about someone or something too much
obscene- a large amount or size
possession- to have or own something
generation- a group of people born or living during the same time
memorize- to learn something so well that you are able to remember it perfectly
hacking (to hack)- to gain access to a computer illegally
identities (identity)- who a person is
advanced- further in progress or ideas


Vocabulary Exercise
 
Directions: Fill in the blanks with the correct vocabulary word.
 
1.  The system has many ________________ features.
2.  They produced their passports as proof of their _________________.
3.  The actress had to _____________ her lines for the play.
4.  His books are popular among the younger ________________.
5.  The lottery player had the winning ticket in his _______________.
6.  Teachers are using new ______________ in their classrooms to motivate their students.
7.  Teenage girls are ________________ with Justin Bieber.
8.  I owe an ______________ amount of money to the government.
9.  Criminals have been ____________ into peoples computers to steal their identities. 
 
 
 
Grammar Point and Exercise
 
A noun is a part of speech used to name a person, place, thing, or idea.  Make a list of 6 nouns used in this entry.  Then write a paragraph about what you think the future is going to be like and underline the nouns you used.   
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. This a topic that is everymore important with the rapidly changing world we live in so I was immediately drawn to it. I think this is a topic that all learners would be motivated to read.

    ReplyDelete