Monday, October 21, 2013

My New Car


           Since I was sixteen years old and I got my driving permit, I dreamt about getting a new car.  Though out the years I have owned used cars.  This year I was finally able to purchase a new car.  When you own a vehicle just like any other car owner, the last thing you are going to want is to get into an accident, or have someone hit it while it's parked.  I was one of the unfortunate car owners who had someone hit their parked car in front their home.  When it happened I was upset! The worst part about it was the fact that I had just purchased my new Toyota corolla on the 4th of July.  I have owned it for three months.  The ironic part of this situation is that my landlord was the driver who hit my car.  The day of the accident, I had been home for about twenty minutes when there was a knock at door.  When I opened the door my landlord said that she had just hit my car and that she was really sorry.  It was difficult not saying to her how I really felt.  She was shaking and couldn't believe what she had just done, so I took a deep breath and told her that it was all going to be alright.  But, inside I was furious and couldn't believe my luck.
           However, I am grateful that she came and told me right away.  She told me not to worry about how much it was going to cost because she was going to pay for the damages.  If it would of been a random individual who had hit my car, they most likely wouldn't of left a note with their name and information.  In that case, I would of had to pay out of my own pocket to get my car repaired.  The total cost of the damage to my car is 3,756 dollars.  It is going to take a total of two weeks to get my car fixed.  In the mean time, I will be driving a 2013 chevy cruse as my rental car.  Even though the rental car is nice, I miss my car!    
    


Vocabulary
unfortunate- to be unlucky
purchased- to buy something
ironic- a situation that is strange or funny because it happened in a way that seems opposite of  what you expected
landlord- a person who rents an apartment to someone else
furious- extremely angry 
grateful- feeling thankful 
random- something that happens that is odd, strange or unusual
repaired- to fix something that is damaged
damage- harm or injure something or someone


Vocabulary Exercise

Directions: Unscramble the vocabulary words.

1.frunetoanut                                               

2. phrceusda                                                  
 
3. rcniio                                                       
              
4. lraloddn                                                     
       
5. iforsuu                                                       
        
6. rutaglef                                                    
       
7. omrnda                                                    
         
8. iaperedr                                                     
9. dmaega                                                     

Grammar Point and Exercise


A synonym is a word that means the same as another, for example shut is a synonym for close.  Can you find the synonyms to your vocabulary words below?  Your vocabulary words are listed under row A and the synonyms are under row B.
 
Row A                                                                                    Row B

unfortunate                                                                              thankful

purchased                                                                                broken

ironic                                                                                       extremely angry

landlord                                                                                   fixed

furious                                                                                     sarcastic

grateful                                                                                    unlucky

random                                                                                    buy

repaired                                                                                   property owner

damage                                                                                    unplanned 



No comments:

Post a Comment